Updated 19 Mar 2023

Image showing the email address of our webmaster. If not visible, please go to Contact Us page and complete the Form

What do I need to submit with my application?

Once you have decided what tent to apply to, or if you will be applying as a Member-at-Large, you will need to fill out an application for membership and submit it along with photocopies of all of your documentation. Please do not send any ORIGINAL documentation, as it cannot be returned. You will need to provide proof of birth, marriage and death for each generation on your application from yourself up to and including your Civil War ancestor. You will also need to provide proof of your Civil War ancestor's service by supplying a photocopy of an appropriate page from either the Compiled Military Service Record or the Pension File stored at the National Archives. A printout from an online service is NOT acceptable.

What types of documentation are acceptable?

The best way to prove dates is with vital records, such as birth, marriage and death certificates. Where these are not available, newspaper articles (with full citations), bible records (with cover page and copyright notice), and religious documents (such as baptismal records) are also acceptable. Other useful sources include deeds, wills, pension affidavits, and cemetery burial records.

Please note that census records are useful for estimating ages and family relationships, but are not proof of anything other than residence in a particular town in a particular year. Only the 1900 census gives month and year of birth. The 1910 census may be used to confirm service in the Civil War, but it will not serve as proof alone. Published genealogies are not acceptable unless they include full references to original sources.

There are many forms of documentation, not all of which can be covered here. If you have questions about a specific type of proof, please ask the Membership Chairwoman with whom you've been dealing.


Web hyperlinks to non-DUVCW sites are not the responsibility of DUVCW, the Departments, or the individual Tents.